[BC] XETRA revisited

Rich Wood richwood
Thu May 5 16:41:25 CDT 2005

------ At 01:52 PM 5/3/2005, Dave Hultsman wrote: -------

>I recall I shipped a lot of equipment over the years to San Ysidro to go
>to XETRA.  The largest shipment was the load of automation 16 racks as I
>recall from Philadelphia to San Yisidro when they changed format to the
>McLendon Easy Listening format.  (Format mentioned
>at  <http://www.donkeyesonline.com>www.donkeyesonline.com)
>Later after K-ADS, Los Angeles failed he switched to the same format on
>KOST-FM Los Angeles and sold the two stations as a package.

So you're the one who saddled us with those spotters! It was a Schafer 800
thumbwheel system with 4 Ampex 350's for music and 2 350's configured as
spotters (light sensing through clear sections on the tape) to locate and
cue spots. Dangerous machines when the reels flew off as they rocked back
and forth to count the number of clear spots to find a programmed spot on
the reel.

One of the first things I did when I got to XTRA was to get the spotters
replaced with carts. We used to have to make our own spotter tapes. They
didn't make them anymore.

Rich

Rich Wood
Rich Wood Multimedia