[BC] XETRA revisited

Dave Hultsman reader
Tue May 3 12:52:13 CDT 2005

In a message dated 5/3/05 12:01:40 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
broadcast-request at radiolists.net writes:
As I recall, the AM was 4 towers, one negative. Two patterns. The night
pattern pulled the signal toward the coastline. I remember people in Yuma
complaining about us disappearing after the pattern change.The transmitter
was a Continental 317, Serial #1 and the auxiliary was a GE.

*******************8

Rich

That's my recollection.  The GE was there, McLendon brought in new towers
and a new 317C transmitter.  I know that in those days they usually ran on
day pattern all the time as the night pattern protected the Canadian clear
which was on 690.  This would mean less signal toward LA which was an
across water shot to the city.  I recall I shipped a lot of equipment over
the years to San Ysidro to go to XETRA.  The largest shipment was the load
of automation 16 racks as I recall from Philadelphia to San Yisidro when
they changed format to the McLendon Easy Listening format.  (Format
mentioned at  <http://www.donkeyesonline.com>www.donkeyesonline.com)
Later after K-ADS, Los Angeles failed he switched to the same format on
KOST-FM Los Angeles and sold the two stations as a package.

Dave Hultsman