[BC] cell phone hash browns

Scott Cason scott.cason
Wed May 4 12:02:14 CDT 2005

>>Same experiences for me in NYC and in Chicago on the Sears tower. And I
wonder if that's due to illuminating too many sites *or* if it's because
cell site antennas are mostly downward pointed, leaving less or little
signal at higher elevations.

I think that would be the latter, Kirk.  The beam tilt on cell sites assumes
people are using them below the antenna.  If you look at some of the antenna
clusters, you can see the mechanical tilt.  I had the same problem in
downtown Louisville at the 102.3 transmitter site on top of a 250 story
building.  If I stood halfway between the elevator motor and my transmitter
with the door to the roof open in front of me, standing on my left foot and
patting my head, my Nextel would find enough signal to work.  Anywhere else
and it was dead.

Scott Cason
President
LaGrange Communications, LLC