[BC] HT Transformer

David Reaves david
Wed May 4 00:52:57 CDT 2005

Not totally unknown, at least to this former Chief Engineer.

In the early '90s, when upgrading facilities for the new (at the
time) Master FM Antenna at the Empire State Building, we decided to
get a new 10K transmitter, instead of just derating Z100's existing
Harris FM20K.

We bought and installed a BE unit, as did most of the other Empire
tenants (IIRC, about a half dozen). Our new unit's plate transformer
failed very shortly (literally) after installation. Its replacement
failed about 6 months later.

Even though it happened twice, I just chalked it up to a bad luck
experience. BE replaced both for free, with shipping, though the
hassle factor left a sore spot. Moving those beasts is a true PITA.

David P. Reaves, III
TransLanTech Sound, LLC
Home of the Award-winning "Ariane Sequel" Digital Audio Leveler

<<