[BC] Earthlink wins the customer service award

Kleinbit USA Sales sales
Wed May 4 07:19:17 CDT 2005

I used to be a big Earthlink fan, they were the best option for Internet access here in South Florida.

Then one day the PVC disappeared between their server and my DSL modem.  So I phoned their customer service number, and instead of the old familiar tech support in the USA, I was VoIP'd to some foreign land, perhaps India?  So these folks were professional enough, and we went through the basic troubleshooting script (which I had already done 2 time prior to phoning)...

But after patiently waiting to the end of the script for the opportunity to PING my modem, I was told they do not have access to PING, and they have no escalation procedure for further assistance!  So that was IT for me.  I switched to Bell South and so far I'm getting GOOD CAPABLE LOCAL SUPPORT for my DSL.

RANT: WOULD IT KILL THESE COMPANIES TO PAY A TECH OR ENGINEERING STUDENT $10 OR $20 AN HOUR SO THAT I CAN ACTUALLY RESOLVE A PROBLEM WHEN I PHONE?  WHAT IS MY ROI FROM HIGH SPEED ACCESS IF I LOOSE SEVERAL HOURS ON A STUPID PROBLEM THAT ANY TECH AT THE CORPORATE NOC IN THE USA COULD FIX IN 10 MINUTES?

- Scott Busey

Barry Mishkind <barry at oldradio.com> wrote:
I just noticed a message in Eudora.

Earthlink is down for the next six hours for "maintenance".

Good thing they gave plenty of advance warning!

Barry Mishkind - Tucson, AZ - 520-296-3797