[BC] Re: BE plate transformer

Xmitters@aol.com Xmitters
Tue May 3 13:31:18 CDT 2005

In a message dated 5/3/05 12:02:23 AM Central Daylight Time,
broadcast-request at radiolists.net writes:

<< Has anyone on the list experienced similar problems with these
transformers?
 Is this likely a bizarre coincidence?  Or...is there some other probable
 source that is causing these failures?

 Thanks in advance.

 Gary Peterson, K?CX >>

Gary:

I have not had that particular experience but in addition to Tom O's
suggestion, I would look at the rest of your transmitter parameters. Your plate
current in particular. I know that might sound stupid because one would think that
the plate overload would trip if it was high enough to kill your plate
transformer. Verify that the plate supply is not overloaded.

This would be a good time to be sure that your overload protection is
actually working. Maybe there was an intermittent failure that drew lots of plate
current and the transmitter failed to trip off. Make sure that the AC service to
the transmitter is properly fused, etc. Is the plate circuit breaker on the
transmitter functioning properly? Did someone bypass it because of an
unexplained failure and then forgot to hook it back up? The plate O/L on my 20H3 here
failed once. Transmitter sat there pulling lots of plate current and failed to
shut off. Fortunately, I caught it in time before the plate transformer failed.

Be sure that the proper taps are connected on all three plate transformer
phases. Was the new transformer connected properly? Rule out any failures that
may have resulted from improper connections. Did someone hook up the new one
just like the old one, without verifying that both the new and old transformer
are actually identical? Don't assume anything. Verify!

Give the transmitter a good visual inspection to see if there are any signs
of arcover anyplace.

If you don't find anything obvious, you might call Peter Dahl, the great
transformer guru, and see if he has seen this before. I have been doing this work
for almost 30 years now and have never had a plate transformer failure in that
whole time. I would say that this problem as you have described it is far
from coincidental.

There is either a major problem with the incoming AC or there is a concealed
problem with the transmitter itself. In almost all of the stations I have
worked however, the transmitter overloads and interlocks were bypassed upon my
arrival! That's the first thing I check when taking a new job :-) Verify that
nothing has been bypassed on your transmitter.

It is important to verify that the fault protection system in your
transmitter is working and working properly.

Jeff Glass
WNIU WNIJ