[BC] (Fwd) cell phone interference?

Barry Rueger rueger
Mon May 2 17:36:19 CDT 2005

Form another list.  Comments anyone?

Barry

To:             	AIRDAILY at packard38.webcrossing.com
Subject:        	cell phone interference?

Am I crazy, or is it possible for the signals that cause cell phones
to ring or vibrate also cause electronic noise or interference in
field recordings onto mini disc or flash cards?

I remember hearing some weird fuzzyness, almost like a beeping or
little electronic revilee that I thought was a short in my machine,
but then my interviewee reached for his phone, the ringer of which
was switched off. It was only when listening to the recording later
that I made the potential connection. Now, the same noise has shown
up on a recording one of our reporters made on a Marantz PMD 660 -

Should I start asking interviewees to switch their phones completely
off while I record, or am I just nuts.

Barry Rueger                     905-308-9179
107 Victoria Avenue South    fax 905-308-9732
Hamilton, Ontario L8N 2S9    cel 905-979-6677
http://www.community-media.com
Blog: http://www.threesquirrels.com