[BC] Fluorescent lights in TV studios...

Mark W. Croom markc
Mon May 2 12:11:33 CDT 2005

I have seen this in action and it does work. Beats having magnetic ballasts
in the studio any day.

Interesting little aside on this; I was not aware of the remote-mounted
ballasts in one studio until we started getting that "hot transformer" smell
coming down a hallway near one of the studios I cared for in Wisconsin. When
I finally traced it to a large wall-mounted electrical box, I was amazed,
when I took the cover off, to find all the ballasts from the nearby studio
in there.

They were well-enough marked to figure out which lamps were affected by the
hot ballast.

Now, one of my stations has nothing but the new electronic ballasts and T8
bulbs, and another of my stations is converting fixtures over to them. They
are working great for us. They are quiet and the bulbs are very bright.
Everyone who has been working under the older bulbs whose office gets
converted to the new ones are thrilled with how light it is. And they use
less energy...can't beat that deal.

Mark
MN