[BC] Re: XTRA-FM

Rich Wood richwood
Mon May 2 10:59:45 CDT 2005

------ At 06:35 PM 4/29/2005, DHultsman5 at aol.com wrote: -------

>This was after I left McLendon.  What type transmitter and antenna  were used
>and where was it located?  Was it Non-D FM 250 kW.  or FM DA  at 250 kW.?

I was responsible for programming the AM, then XHERS when the format
changed. I actually never went to the XTRA-FM transmitter site. It was on a
hill in Tijuana. As I recall near one of the most dangerous areas of
Tijuana. Originally, all XTRA-FM programming was recorded in San Diego and
driven across the border in a VW Beetle. We later determined that it had to
be live, so studios were built and the jocks drove to Tijuana to do live
shifts. On weekends getting back across the border took almost as long as
their air shifts.

As I recall, the AM was 4 towers, one negative. Two patterns. The night
pattern pulled the signal toward the coastline. I remember people in Yuma
complaining about us disappearing after the pattern change.The transmitter
was a Continental 317, Serial #1 and the auxiliary was a GE.

It's been so many years ago that I don't remember the equipment. I believe
both FMs were ND. John Buffaloe can probably answer the equipment questions.

Rich

Rich Wood
Rich Wood Multimedia
Phone: 413-303-9084