[BC] Re: Engineering and what it used to be

DANA PUOPOLO dpuopolo
Sun Jul 31 23:43:09 CDT 2005

You have just defined the PROBLEM! If I have to have big time people skills
AND computer skills AND RF skills AND audio skills...etc. then I'm qualified
to make three times as much as I do in radio doing something else!

Not to mention that I'll likely be treated better too.

Engineers share something with sales persons in that our skillsets are
transferrable to other industries. Radio managers generally are too clueless
to understand this about us.

-D

-Quite true. I believe that today's engineer requires 70% people skills in
his/her skillset. I make every effort to get my staff involved in any studio
operational changes. When I tell them that "I need your help with something"
they
look shocked and tell me that they doubt they could help ME. I simply tell
them that they are the customer and I'll put the equipment or whatever,
wherever
they need it. "You use it, I just fix it" I tell them. They really get pumped

up when they discover that they are part of the process.