[BC] Radio Is Not what it Used to be

Bill Sepmeier dcpowerandlight
Sun Jul 31 22:38:26 CDT 2005

>If manufacturers could just make their devices web enabled this would
>provide a common interface (HTTP) to all products.  The IP router
>manufacturers have been doing this for years.

Which makes me wonder why it takes so long for our industry to adapt what's
been out there to give us the amazing flexibility I used to have with my
Cisco routers on three continents....

>2) I don't think the IP interface should be inherently required for a
>transmitter to perform its intended function.  Is this acceptable in your
>mind?  The net result might be that the cost of the IP enabled product is
>more than the one without it.

Well, since I'm paying 2.89/gal for gas in rural South Park, Colorado, I'd
really prefer to pay a bit more - or have the boss pay a bit more - to
prevent that 140 mile drive that started this thread...  and when you look
at the cost of the engineer's time, etc., I can't see that an IP interface's
cost would be significant... with a couple of "saves" it would pay for
itself.  Of course, transmitters don't really need the interface, as long as
the remote control system used to operate them have it... right?

You must pardon me, Dan ... I've been "out" for a long time.  But are
transmitters all fully integrated with internal remote controls these days?
Or do you still have to run wires [gasp!] and use contactors and relays and
such to run 'em?

>This is one area that I have been able to please no one.

Yeah, it's like being a divorce mediator or something, isn't it?  I found it
much easier to package the options and discourage intellectual freedom when
selling stuff ... LOL!  ... really ... you know your product reasonably well
and you know how it works ... it's not that hard for YOU to find a common
ground, or a few varieties of it, and then give people the full and free
choice of which limited set of infinity they take.  Henry Ford came up with
this ... any color you want, long as it's black!

>BTW, at Continental our engineers don't usually wear suits.  Is that bad?

Completely unprofessional, if you read the papers...  LOL!  Well, I had a
written policy in our corporate handbook that forbid the wearing of suits
and ties at work without a majority vote of the Board, and now I generate
electricity for a living... perhaps if I'd worn a tie... [sigh]