[BC] Radio Is Not what it Used to be

Jeff Loughridge jeff
Sun Jul 31 15:14:12 CDT 2005

Ahead of your time, as usual Bill.

I have been working for the last several years to achieve that level of IP
integration. It is very rare now that I have to be on site to change
something.

I can manage all of my Zephyrs via IP, with Remote Desktop most PC's, all
servers, and Burk remote controls running AutoPilot. I also installed the
Burk Web Interface for each station for connectivity independent of the PC
running Autopilot.

I have DSL to each transmitter site for access when I am outside the WAN,
and Moseley LanLinks to extend my corp. WAN to the TX sites for easy
connectivity behind our firewall. Currently, the two don't talk for security
reasons. The LanLink allows the running of backup servers and other critical
devices off site, but control and updates as if they were in the same room.

I have multiple cameras and digital recorders at each studio and TX site,
and can connect to them via IP from anywhere to see what's going on. I even
have a camera at each site focused on the front of the transmitters so I can
visually monitor problems. Recently at one site, we went to dead air but the
audio was still very slightly there. Then it would come back, then go away.
It did the same thing on the backup STL, backup processing, and backup TX.
Through the DSL, I was able to connect to the Omnia and verify it was good,
and was able to view the transmitter and rack. I noticed the "Lock" light
was out on the Fleximod, then it magically lit up when the audio came back
on. That time it stayed on for good. I sent someone out with a new coax
cable and we haven't had a problem since. If I didn't have the benefit of
that camera, it would have taken some additional time to figure out, and we
never would have been sure since it didn't do it anymore that evening.

I just ordered the new Bird BPM-E with the web interface, and can't wait to
get it going.

I carry my laptop with me at all times. With the Verizon Wireless broadband
cellular service, wireless hotspots, or someone elses wired LAN, I can
connect from anywhere and fix a problem.

I agree with you 100%. It's an IP world. Anyone still stuck on RS-232,
RS-485, or whatever is living in the past. The next phase is full scale
integration of these individual systems into a virtual rack as you
described, or at least a consolidated web site for one stop administration.
I've got some ideas.

Jeff Loughridge
Market Engineering Manager
WPGC FM-AM/WARW/WLZL/WJFK FM