[BC] Bassbox Mk1 speaker design successfully completed.

Clive Warner clive
Sun Jul 31 20:28:31 CDT 2005

Finished the Mk I model succesfully. It works pretty much as per the
computer program predicted.
The Mk I has an ancient Bose 10" driver with a foam surround. I don't think
it compares to modern drivers.
The program predicted a peak of about +6 at 50Hz and +3 at 40Hz, 0db at 37Hz
and then dropping like a cliff edge. Dimensions are 30" high, 19" wide, 15"
deep. There are six internal sound paths starting with 3" then 4" then 5",
the full width of the cabinet (the bracing also makes the cabinet very
rigid). I'm using around 50% stuffing fibre based on listening sweep tests.
The driver is crap at anything much over 300 Hz. I'm planning to recut and
install an Xtasis 12" driver from whichever range handles the most power at
that size, regular or automotive.
This is for Jayne's bass and so my aim was to develop a unit that really
kicks ass at the low frequencies. Mike played bass into it this afternoon
and it gave a good account of itself.
On sweep, it drops off very steeply lower than about 33Hz, but at 41Hz - low
E - it makes everything in the room respond and the water in the fish tank
makes patterns. . .