[BC] Radio Is Not what it Used to be

Jeff Loughridge jeff
Sun Jul 31 19:10:28 CDT 2005

Since this has evolved over several years, I have two types of recorders in
use. Two of the studio locations have Dedicated Micros recorders. They have
16 inputs and a nice web interface. My transmitter sites and remaininig
studio all have a newer Honeywell recorder. I have both 4, 9, and 16 camera
models in use. Both models allow setting to detect motion, defining the
field monitored, and access and administration via IP.

The Dedicated Micros has a nice web interface that allows access from any
web browser. Its biggest problem is setup. To conserve space I like to set
the cameras to record 1 frame every second at normal quality, but when
motion is detected jump to 60 frames at high quality. There is no external
motion detector. The software detects motion by change in the camera image.
You set that up by defining the area in the camera that it looks for change
in and the degree of change it takes to be motion. The DM machines make this
very difficult. Taking a portion of video and exporting it is also harder
with the DM.

The Honeywell does not have a web interface. It requires its own program to
view and setup. If you are out somewhere and don't have access to the
software, you're out of luck. The trade of is in administration and use. The
software is very nice and makes setup and operation very easy. It also has a
Pan, Tilt, Zoom interface built in if you want top use those type of cameras
and mounts and a built in CD-RW for burning videos..

The cameras vary in size, depending on their location and use. Outdoor
cameras are traditional in look, housed in a weatherproof enclosure with a
heater and fan. The heater keeps condensation out in the winter. The fan
helps all year. I use both color and B&W outdoors, depending on the view.
Most are Panasonic. The lens is sold seperately, and you get the one you
need for the area being watched. They are available in familiar styles,
wide, zoom, telephoto, etc.

Indoor cameras are a combination of styles. The original cameras are all
full size Panasonics. You can see one of them on the WPGC website
http://www.wpgc955.com. Click on the "PGC-Cam"  button and you will see the
studio camera view. It is a Panasonic color. Most new cameras are the 3"
bubble type that mount on the ceiling.

I had a local company do the install, which made it a lot simpler. You can
find some more info and hardware at:
http://www.discount-security-cameras.net/ as well as many other sites.

Jeff Loughridge