[BC] to the editor of the NY Times

Dan Dickey dldickey
Sun Jul 31 19:07:30 CDT 2005

This idea was afforded the broadcast community in the U.S. many years ago.
They soundly rejected it.  The reasons are clouded in almost everyone's
mind.  But probably the biggest issue had to do with the idea that the DAB
inventors had about how to deal with multipath.

Multipath can be defeated in a number of ways.  But one of the better ones
is to widen the spectral occupancy of the signal.  Then multipath affects an
every smaller percentage of the total energy transmitted.  So the DAB
designers opted for a channel width over 1MHz.  Now this is a great thing
for multipath mitigation.  But it is a nightmare if you are limited to a
small amount of spectrum and have a lot of stations as we do in the U.S.
However the DAB inventors had a solution to that too.  Just put lots of
programs into each transmitter.  In Europe this is not a problem because
most transmitters are owned by a few network operators and they could easily
manage the allocation of audio streams across their available transmitter
network.  But in the U.S. there is no one willing to manager this sharing of
transmitters amongst the several stations.

In the U.S. all the bands that DAB was designed for (band III & L) are
already occupied but it would seem that this was a solvable problem if it
were not for the previous one.

Best regards,
Dan Dickey