[BC] Do We Still Like Our Jobs?

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo
Sat Jul 30 21:39:49 CDT 2005

Usually because the company making the product is relatively small.  There
are a lot of mfrs. making highly specialized products for broadcasting,
recording, rfi suppression and so on, that are pretty much made up of design
engineers, with a few people doing the accounting, phone answering and
correspondence and shipping.   they don't have, or can't afford, or don't
think about getting a professional tech. writer to work with the product,
talk with the engineers, and take the manual they have written, and polish
it into something that makes sense.   These companies just get the engineers
to write the manuals, maybe even as almost an afterthought.  then there is
some hurry to get the product to market.  by now, the engineer may be sick
of the whole thing, and not too thrilled about doing the writing.   they do
their best, but may not be good writers to begin with, and are so familiar
with the product that a lot of information isn't included because to them,
it is basic knowledge and they don't realize it isn't  always obvious to the
customer.    this happens for example with alphabet soup initialisms,
buzzwords, and acronyms.     No matter, the company runs off the manual and
out the door it goes ("We can do a better manual later on").

OTOH, really big consumer electronics companies that make millions of units
and sell to the masses can afford whole departments of writers.  that's why
you get a manual for even a flashlight that is written to make you feel as
dumb as a rock ("Move the switch to on.  The light will now come on.  To
turn it off, move the switch to off.    Warning:  Do not swallow the
lightbulb as gastrointestinal tract injury may result.")

rob atkinson

<<<I don't know why manuals can't be written CLEARLY.  But I digress...>>>