[BC] Do We Still Like Our Jobs?

Thomas G. Osenkowsky tosenkowsky
Fri Jul 29 20:18:24 CDT 2005

I started in radio in the fall of 1972 while a senior in high school.
Very much by accident. I began as a news stringer, covering
local meetings and preparing reports for the morning newscasts
on WINE AM & FM in Brookfield, CT. I helped the CE install a new
RCA FM tx and hung around the station after school. I was mentored
by the late Tony Napoleon, afternoon DJ. The CE had a Saturday
night air shift from 6 to midnight. He let me go on air at 8 pm and
"Smokin' Tom Gary" was born.

I went of the Central CT State College and became the morning man
on WFCS(FM), later PD of their carrier current AM. I trained new
on-air DJ's who would then graduate to the FM. Over spring break 1974
I answered the request line while the CE was testing a mod he made to the
McMartin board he installed earlier in the year. The girl who called
requested
some Three Dog Night songs. I played her favorite, "Pieces of April" and
a few others. I asked if she wanted to meet, she agreed. That was on April
19, 1974. We got married in April 19, 1975. I left CCSC after one year.
Their
Electronics course covered materials I learned as a freshman at Brookfield
High! I went to work as a test technician for Automation Industries,
specializing
in their UJ Reflectoscope product. I was hired by WDAQ, Danbury to tend
their new automation system. Revox A-77's and carousels. I then went on
to DJ on WLAD(AM). I brought in my own records, did my own music sets,
etc. I left WLAD and Automation for a solo CE position at (then) WOWW,
Naugatuck, CT.

I left WOWW in January, 1977 to be CE at 13-WAVZ and WKCI(FM) in
New Haven. I was there for 4 years, moved on to WRCH(FM)/WRCQ(AM)
in the Hartford market and from there back to Naugatuck as OM/PD. I
ended up managing 14-NVR as it had become known. I also maintain an
active client list of CT stations and travel from New England, the Midwest
to the Caribbean.

A lot has changed in the broadcast industry. From programming to
engineering. No more daily tuning the transmitter, taking base current
readings, monthly frequency checks, etc. Computers have become a
major part of broadcasting. Proficiency in computing is an essential
part of broadcast engineering. We have witnessed the demise of
vinyl, carts and reel tape from most facilities. Tubes have given way
to solid state. Digital has a prevalent presence in many stations.

Voice tracking and satellite delivered programming has replaced the
old reel and VHS automation systems of the past. Consolidation has
placed demands on engineers who now must maintain an increased
number of facilities. I have prepared many technical applications for
LMA's and acquisitions for a major group (now purchased by another).

As far as treatment and respect I have been on both sides of the fence.
I have worked for a GM who treated me with the utmost respect, gave me
a budget for the ten people I was responsible for plus equipment and
maintenance and I worked for one immature guy who was more of a
PD-wannabe than manager. He fired me on a Thursday night at a remote.
I sat in his chair the following Monday morning. In my consulting practice
I have seen some well managed and technically sound operations to
ones that I would prefer to never visit again. I have sold software that I
authored for AM, RFR and other tasks to other consulting engineers,
network DOE's and CE's. Worked for major market stations such as
WABC as well as 250 watt daytimers.

We all could consume volumes with stories good and bad. Radio has
changed. It's now an entertainment business with competition from
two satellite providers, iPods, Internet only radio, the Internet itself
plus all forms of video. Advertising dollars are now divided
among the aforementioned plus cable TV and print media. Engineers
used to be concerned with transmitter tube changes, cleaning and
lubricating rotary pots, changing cart machine pinch rollers, turntable
pucks and needles, etc. Today we are dealing with power surfers
who can't figure out how to print email or save documents. Some
things have changed, some have not.

Tom Osenkowsky, CPBE