[BC] re: How Engineers Oughta Look

Thomas G. Osenkowsky tosenkowsky
Fri Jul 29 19:01:48 CDT 2005

>I agree with that.  But, what's a tie? <g>  Today I'm wearing a golf shirt,
shorts and boat shoes with no socks.  Hey, it's the desert, and it's summer.
That's decent clothing for this time of year.  I could get into any snooty,
high-class restaurant with what I got on.

The latter may be true, depending on the establishment's standards
or lack thereof. The Onion recently featured a front page story on
800,000 shirtless and shoeless people demanding equal rights at
stores and eateries.

Fashion, attire, personal grooming, table manners and presentation are all
individual qualities. I agree that suits are not mandatory in any setting.
Again,
up to the individual. What one defines as 'decent clothing' is as subjective
as which audio processor sounds best or loudest.

Which Elton John would YOU prefer? Elton with pocket protector in his
shirt, plain jeans and tennis shoes or Elton decked out as he was in the
70's?
This is all a matter of personal preference, how we wish to be judged by
others and how we feel about ourselves. I am personally uncomfortable in
a suit. I admit it. When I attend the NAB Convention I wear a suit. I do
this
to show respect to my peers, vendors, the equipment, the shuttle bus drivers
and food service personnel. This is MY way of showing respect. Some may
not agree and I respect their opinion.

I just saw a piece on Inside Edition about expensive items. A hand crafted
pair of shoes that cost $1890. How about custom made suits? Satin sheets
and luxury so fine? High heels not being good for the feet? Depends on how
agile and balanced you are. The NYC subway gratings are the WORST! Dead
bugs at your transmitter site? Not at mine!

A few years ago our MD/mid-day DJ announced that she wasn't wearing a bra.
She was moving back to CA and said she packed them all away. Our PD/AM
DJ said I would be happy. How chauvinist! I told her she was very unlady
like
and I was insulted! I speculated that she was going commando as well. No
response.

Attire has nothing to do with one's sexual preference or gender, in my
opinion.
I saw an article in Annie's Mailbox about some male football players who
wore
hose to keep warm and how their parents said they shouldn't be mocked for
doing so. Why does a male wearing pantyhose require explanation? If he feels
comfortable in a miniskirt, hose, heels, whatever so be it! We will all
individually
judge others as they will judge us.

Let this lengthily post bring a close to this topic before higher powers
intervene
and do so in the interest of bandwidth conservation.

Tom Osenkowsky, CPBE