[BC] portable DAB

Clive Warner clive
Fri Jul 29 18:31:03 CDT 2005

http://www.robertsradio.co.uk/downloads/guides/rd15ib.pdf
has details of the UK manufacturer Roberts Radio . . . their smallest set
costs UK#70 or about $130.
It reminds me of something I might have bought in the 70's for about $20
with AM and FM.
It needs four of the largest size of battery - the 'D' cell - and with 4 D
cells installed it lasts for . . . get this . . . 30 hours!

A year ago when I knew I was going to be in hospital for a while I bought a
little ShadioRack AM/FM receiver. It used a pair of AAA cells and it lasted
. . . well, it seemed to be forever. Probably 300 hours instead of 30.

And this is called PROGRESS?

I haven't been able to find the percentage of people who listen to portable
radio, but I did find a site that tells me that in-car and in-home amount to
60% between them, so I can only assume 40% of the audience is portable.
Therefore, I conclude that when you go digital, your audience is going to
drop by 40%, and of course, so will your advertising dollars . . .

I have started writing letters to US newspapers and journalists about this.
Rather than endlessly bitching on this list about Iniquity Corp. and IBOC I
suggest, if you feel like I do about it, that you WRITE and EMAIL
newspapers, journalists and so forth.
I personally have a channel to the highest position in government here, and
I shall be preparing a document in Spanish against the whole idea of IBOC
and urging them to follow the European/Canadian technology which is already
in place, proven, and working.

- Clive