[BC] The Future of EAS

Tom Bosscher tom
Fri Jul 29 14:52:34 CDT 2005

Barry Mishkind wrote:
> I hope I am not the only one to have seen this:
>
> Hill Hears Emergency Alert Update
> By Bill McConnell -- Broadcasting & Cable, 7/27/2005
>
> Federal officials told lawmakers Wednesday that they plan to have the
> transmission "backbone" in place by fall 2006 for upgrading the
> emergency alert system for the digital age.

	I also would like to pray, ok, I will pray that it is funding for that
"Emcon?" (I think) satellite system, that keeps all the origination of
EAS out of the hands of the broadcasters. Again, for less than 800 feet
of the Big Dig, we could have every single broadcast and cable system
monitoring the Emcon system, and every county and city EOC on line. As a
Libertarian, I can finally see something that I would be happy to pay
taxes for.

	But I shudder. It probably will be a marketing wizs' plan to use BPL
for EAS.

	Here's your sign....

	tom bosscher

	Official West Michigan EAS Operational Area Curmudgeon