[BC] Need clock for SX-5 w/ Sunwatch

Phil Alexander dynotherm
Fri Jul 29 12:14:23 CDT 2005

On 28 Jul 2005 at 18:35, Thomas G. Osenkowsky wrote:

> The SLC-1 has not been supported by the original manufacturer in
> many years.

It appears they are gone from the scene now. I can trace them back
to Mountain View until around 1999-2000 and then they vanish.

I was hoping to get the protocol because Harris doesn't have it.
It is a very nice feature and I don't see why another computer
clock couldn't perform the same functions.

> >From experience, here are common problems with the SLC-1.
> By far, most are power supply related. Replace all the caps, or
> install a new supply which is commonly available. The next failures
> are with the CD4536 chip nearest the small crystal/front panel toggle
> switches. Also the 74C08, 74LS74AN in line with the crystals and
> the 6502AP chip. Be sure to press the Reset button on both System
> Controllers after installing the SLC-1 just to be sure it integrates
> properly. You can also use an RS-232 tester to see if the clock is
> pulsing.

Thanks Tom. First I've got to get it powered up. It was the victim
of a water drip, apparently over a period of time at a station I
recently took on. Big rain and the roof patch they thought had been
done apparently hadn't. It appears the 4-20 ma interface shorted
the supply. Quite a bit of bubbled trace on the board etc. Another
clock would have been a quick sure way of getting the plant back
to self cycling power, but it looks like I'll have to go the R/C
route for now. This place is a totally undocumented mess, so I was
hoping to avoid that.

Phil Alexander, CSRE, AMD
(a Div. of Advanced Parts Corporation)
Ph. (317) 335-2065   FAX (317) 335-9037