[BC] IBOC in trouble?

Barry McLarnon bdm
Thu Jul 28 16:29:43 CDT 2005

On Wednesday 27 July 2005 16:15, Ernie Belanger wrote:
> To date iBiquity has managed to maneuver itself into a perfect
> situation.
>
> Regardless if  NRSC5 gets booted back to the NRSC Committee or not it
> will not stop HD Radio from being implimented.
>
> IF NRSC 5 is scrubbed all together by the FCC it won't stop HD Radio
> from being implimented.
>
> iBiquity has the Commission politically right where they want it.
> iBiquity very keenly and being crafty has now placed itself in a
> position of power over the commission on this matter.
>
> Either way iBiquity wins, and the broadcast industry blindly has caused
> its own loss (years of paying iBiquity whatever iBiquity wants... what
> fools!!!)
>
> The only thing that will prevent the HD Rollout is  the FCC growing big
> enough B@//$ to halt any further roll out of HD  and to order all
> stations broadcasting HD to cease broadcasting until such time as
> iBiquity lives up to the promise of providing codec information.
>
> But guess what That ain't gonna happen in our lifetime.  The stage is
> already set to separate the roll out from the NRSC 5 debate. It will be
> the easy road for the commission to take and avoid the  heat from the
> broadcasters. Let the courts decide the Constitutional issues of the
> standard, it takes the political heat off the commission.
>
> The regulated tell the regulators what they can and cant do..
>
> This boat is just to damned far down the stream politically and
> practically to throw out the anchor even for a brief breather.
>
> Broadcasters want digital, many have invested millions in the HD
> standard.. It is the default standard  only because the FCC annointed it
> as such and there were not  any competitors stepping up to the plate at
> the Time. Short sited by the commission at the time but none the less
> the step they took with the broadcast industry as their cheerleader.
>
> iBiquity at this point is probably telling the Commission. "If you stop
> the roll out broadcasters will go to court to force it, Broadcasters
> will go to court if you try to stop them from using the millions in
> equipment they have bought.  You'll have hell to pay with local
> Congressman and Senators and you will look like real asses for ever
> having let things go this far without stopping the roll out sooner.
>
> You will ruin the industry and prevent them from having Fair competition
> Et Nausium.
>
> Sadly except for a few legal manuvers it is a done deal. iBiquity has
> won.
>
> Even if this thing gets kicked to the courts which could take 1- or 15
> years to decide. HD rollout will continue. iBiquity will position itself
> to make a billion or so and the Broadcasters get screwed.
>
> Even if the standard gets opened up in 10 years iBiquity product will
> have a prime position and will be in place at every station in the
> country
>
> Regardless of which way the Commission turns iBiquity has the gun loaded
> [...]

(sorry about all the quoting, but it seemed necessary in this case)

I think you've got it pegged, Ernie... the FCC is in a bind.  They got
there because, back in 2002, they bought into the Big Lie and declared
iBiquity IBOC to be the One True System for digital radio broadcasting in
the USA.  The Big Lie, of course, was the one about how digital services
could be wedged into the AM and FM bands without being subject to the
protection rules, and yet cause minimal interference problems with existing
services.  They dug themselves into this hole because they failed to do
due diligence on the technology, and instead accepted the assurances of
the industry group that was promoting it.  Now they have no choice but to
let it move ahead, and hope that the industry can somehow sort it out
amongst themselves.  And they will sort it out, after a fashion... but let
the public interest and the small broadcasters be damned.

It's a sad state of affairs, but that's the way of the world these days...

Barry

--
Barry McLarnon VE3JF  Ottawa, ON