[BC] Re: IBOC in Trouble?

Clay Freinwald cfreinwald
Wed Jul 27 19:27:10 CDT 2005

Sorry guys....i just can't sit here and ignor all of this - here are
some points to ponder

1. MSFT going after Ibiquity over their secret 'sauce recipe' is a bit
hard to take.  Is this the same software outfit that was in court
protecting its own secrets?

2. Please - STOP - Tossing the AM and FM IBOC formula in the same pot.
They are just as different as are the bands they operate on.   Shotgun
or poorly aimed critical comments only tend to diminish your own
credibilty.   FM HD has 'some' issues, AM HD has some 'major'
issues....

3. As a fellow thats been in this business for a while (44 years) I've
been around just a few blocks.   I've watched Radio broadcasting come a
long way and have waited for the time that I could actually drive down
the road and listen to classical music...and I now can.    I wished I
could replay all the comments I heard, back-when, when FM was just
getting started.   Too bad many of you were not around then as History
teaches us something very important....99% of the arguments are
recycled.

4. Funny how humans are always PO'd at those that get there first with
anything.....the same reasoning is behind the resentment of MSFT or
Ibiquity or Boeing or RCA or Major Armstrong etc etc.   This is nothing
new.  History is FULL of this kind of resentment.

5. For many years we have been clammering for a Digital Radio
system...now we have it, now we bitch...Hmmmm.   Are we like dogs that
chase cars and can't figure out what to do with one when we catch it?

6. Here in Seattle we now have 13 HD FM's and more on the way (and a
couple multicasting).  We also have terrible terrain (worse than San
Francisco i'm told).  I invite anyone to come here and choose a few FM's
without HD and those with....Drive around a while...and compare.   You
too will become believers, just as I have.   I've been listening and
comparing HD to Analog FM for a year now in my vehicle - Have you?

7. Could all of this have been done better?   Sure !   Tell me what
could not have been improved upon.   Who would not like to do something
over.   Folks its time to let the dust settle and move on.  Hind sight
is great, but looking backward makes moving forward difficult.

Clay Freinwald