[BC] EAS Screwup

lfuss2@cox.net lfuss2
Wed Jul 27 18:20:28 CDT 2005

>We have had over a dozen alerts from Amber to NWS stuff over the
last week.  In all cases except those cited above, the system worked fine.

Bill:

There was a Severe Thunderstorm Warning on Monday night as I was returning
from stuffing myself at a local buffet (that's why I moved to Las Vegas in
the first place).  One of the Infinity stations (the one with the really
lame air talent on 94.1) interrupted programming to air the header, followed
immediately by the EOM.  There was no accouncement whatsoever.  I quickly
flipped over to another Infinity station (the one on 100.5 that is terribly
over-modulated) and heard the entire announcement.  I flipped back and forth
to see if 94.1 ever said anything about the warning - they did not.

Also, the NOAA audio on 100.5 was terribly distorted.  As I was flipping
around the dial, I heard the very same announcement on another station (I
think it was KSNE) and it sounded fine.

The system may work, but if the individual stations don't do things
properly, then lives could be at stake.  If it had been a really serious
emergency, listeners to KMXB would have never known about it.

Larry