[BC] EAS Screwup

Bill Croghan loteng
Wed Jul 27 12:41:50 CDT 2005

	A scrambled SAGE encoder sent out an EAN yesterday in Las Vegas
instead of an ADM.  (Our way to notify of cancellation of an Amber Alert.)
It worked just the way it was supposed to if it had been an actual EAN.
	Check the programming of your SAGE (or Burk, TFT, Holly Anne etc)
units periodically.
	The local Cox cable company had an equipment hang-up on a FFW also
yesterday that resulted in the scroll continuing and the audio muted for
about 20 Minutes.  The EAS system worked for everyone else, but the
equipment at the Cable company had a problem.  It pays to double check your
equipment.
	Individual equipment problems DO NOT condemn the entire system.
It's each of our responsibilities to keep our equipment working correctly.
If poorly maintained equipment is your problem, it's your fault, not the EAS
systems fault.
	We have had over a dozen alerts from Amber to NWS stuff over the
last week.  In all cases except those cited above, the system worked fine.

Bill Croghan CPBE, WB?KSW
Co-Chair, Southern NV, Inyo CA EAS operational Area
Chief Engineer KOMP/KXPT/KENO/KBAD
Lotus Broadcasting, Las Vegas, NV
phone 702-315-3030  -  Fax	702-876-6685