RANT MODE Re: [BC] Convention Costs

Mike McCarthy Towers
Wed Jul 27 07:05:56 CDT 2005

Thank you for clarifying that.  None the less, I HAVE seen the attempted
installation of "flat" cables bought at the local home center...the kind
that ARE flat (not round) and have a fairly thin single layer
insulation.  One roll with a heavy dolly and that insulation is
pierced.  Same too for most of the colored "multi-use" utility/garden cords
as well.  The outer jacket is just not tough enough for that
application.  SO cable is rated for mine use.

TSE standard as I know is 12/3 SO cable.  So if you have 12/3 SO cords,
"good boy" (with a scratch on the ear for good measure)

One other thing...McCormick place uses standard NEMA twist lock receptacles
instead of blade in their system. At first, I thought that was to simply
force exhibitors to use the house electrical contractor cables. I later
found that was not case. They do that for the simple reason to control what
cables are connected to the home system...and to prevent non-conformant
cables from being plugged in deep under carpet and other concealed places.
This is for several very good reasons. First and foremost... The cause of
the 1969 fire which burned McCormick Place to the ground was electrical in
nature.

They then break out to standard HEAVY DUTY blade receptacles in 1900 boxes
where appropriate.  If an exhibitor brings their own conformant cables,
boxes and equipment, they can be be used.  But can end up being taken at
the end of the show if not clearly marked as exhibitor property.  That's
the risk.

MM