[BC] IBOC in trouble?

Phil Alexander dynotherm
Tue Jul 26 23:22:24 CDT 2005

On 26 Jul 2005 at 21:31, Barry McLarnon wrote:

> Then read this one by Jonathon Hardis of NIST, who, unlike Microsoft,
> has no dog in this race:
>
> http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/ecfs/retrieve.cgi?native_or_pdf=pdf&id_document=6518010460
>
> This is a tremendous piece of work that eclipses all the other filings
> on NRSC-5, and yet the online radio mags haven't even mentioned it.
> I wonder why...

It is indeed a great work, and carefully lays out the battleground for
the litigation that is almost sure to follow if NRSC-5 is codified
without change.

In hindsight I believe the FCC erred in three areas in formulation of
the policy for a standard for IBOC. (It's pointless to debate the wisdom
of IBOC one more time IMHO. It is what it is and few including myself are
happy with it.)

1. They treated both the modulation/demod schemes and the codec essentially
	as hardware devices that could not be changed, when, in fact, they are
	essentially software or firmware that could be changed by means common
	in the computer world

2. Not realizing the potential for change demonstrated by computer technology,
	they did not require a means for upgrading the receiver demodulation system
	via OTA transmission.

3. They also failed to require a means for similarly upgrading the codec, and
	did not require codec identification that would allow multiple codecs in
	the future.

Considering the 25 year record of evolution in computer technology it is
reasonable to expect significant evolution in DAB, but as NRSC-5 now stands,
there is no provision for it, except by never ending transitions of
receiver hardware.

Hopefully, the Commission will correct at least some of their errors to
prevent the litigation that will likely arise from the comments by
Mr. Hardis and Microsoft.

An idle thought: I wonder if Ibiquity has the RIGHT to reveal any of the
codec information? IOW, did they simply buy the use of a private label
codec with just enough changes to make it non-compatible with AAC+ ???

Perhaps, now, Ibiquity will get their ducks in a row before IBOC stalls
and they face bankruptcy. This would only set deployment back about a
year IMHO, because Chapter 7 is unlikely, but it would mean a new
management team would enter the picture. Wouldn't that be nice? <g>

Phil Alexander, CSRE, AMD
(a Div. of Advanced Parts Corporation)
Ph. (317) 335-2065   FAX (317) 335-9037