[BC] No-code Amateur license

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo
Tue Jul 26 17:23:51 CDT 2005

I've still got mine in a frame.  I guess it's a kind of collector's item
now.  it is numbered but I don't know if FCC would have a record of it.

Here's the deal:   In my case anyway,  at the time I got mine, you had to
request the certificate from your district office by sending in a request
letter with a copy of ur license.   the district office issued the
certificate (for me that was Atlanta at the time), not Gettysburg or some
national facility.   the number on mine may have only been kept in Atlanta.
but anyway, I recall reading somewhere that the op license was for life and
the station license (that gets the call sign) is the renewable part.  so
you'd think you wouldn't need retesting if you let your license lapse but
you do.  Maybe the FCC is trying to get away from the op and station license
components.

rob atkinson/k5uj

From: "Gary Peterson" <kzerocx at rapidcity.net>
To: <broadcast at radiolists.net>
Subject: [BC] No-code Amateur license
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 07:10:50 -0600

Rob,

There's an interesting feature about our diploma-style amateur extra class
certificates.  First, it states that it is an operator's license.  Second,
it has no expiration date.  If our regular licenses (operator + station)
expired and went past the two year grace period, would it be possible to
argue that we still had a lifetime operator's license and would not have to
retest?  IIRC, the extra class certificates went away when the FCC stopped
giving extra class exams.

Gary, KØCX

" I even got one of those 1st class phone
look-a-like certificates that FCC used to issue for Extra.

Rob Atkinson
k5uj "

http://www.radiolists.net/