[BC] Re: No Code

Rich Wood richwood
Mon Jul 25 21:58:21 CDT 2005

------ At 07:32 PM 7/25/2005, Douglas B. Pritchett wrote: -------

>So, does that mean if, in a year or two, I get off my butt, study
>and pass the General written exam and upgrade without code, that I
>am any less of a person? Any less of a ham? Who are you and your
>ensconced brethren of the HF bands to judge my character? Like I
>stole my license? If those of us who follow in the years to come are
>subject to hard feelings and are not welcome in the ham community,
>why should we bother? The hobby will die off with the old brass
>pounders and the Commission will give the allocations to someone who
>will use them, and pay for them.

The hard feelings really began with the no-code license. Many hams
would check their databases to make sure they weren't talking to
no-code hams. The ridicule was incredibly intense. I know many
engineers in other specialties, graduates of MIT and other schools
that would make the hammiest Extra look like a blithering idiot when
it comes to physics. It didn't matter that you had a Ph.D in
electrical engineering. You couldn't be a real ham without code.
That's the main reason I stopped moderating the Fidonet Amateur Radio Echo.

Your character is judged by how fast you can beep.

Rich
KF2JO