[BC] No-code Amateur license

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo
Mon Jul 25 17:43:16 CDT 2005

At one time, ARRL transmitted code proficiency exercises over W1AW which I
think were called "qualifying runs."  They were like FCC copy tests only
faster and started at 25 w.p.m., and went up to maybe 40.  Those inclined
would copy the transmissions and send in the results.  You got a certificate
with endorsements for each higher speed.  On top of that, W1NJM who I think
is no longer with us, took over at 40 wpm and went even higher.   I do not
know if ARRL is still sending these, but if FCC nixes cw tests and hams want
some kind of test to pass to show skill, the ARRL should think about
stepping back in to fill the void with 5 or 10 wpm on up.

Rob A.

From: Tom Bosscher <tom at bosscher.org>
Subject: Re: [BC] No-code Amateur license
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 10:43:35 -0400

Jerry Mathis wrote:
 >Does ANYONE use Morse code for anything anymore?
    In strict terms, no it is not needed much, but it still is used.
 >We have far more efficient means of communications now.
    Ah, PSK-31 and the likes. What a great, and very efficient mode.

    As a ham of 39 years, my viewpoint is that the morse test is not needed
for most ham radio. I do wish they would keep the 5 wpm for the Extra.

    At the same time, I am hearing many of the 2 meter operators talking
about working one or two cw contacts over the weekend. CW is a fun mode. I
can only do around 15 wpm right now. I consider it an art form. Just one
facet on a 240 sided diamond called amateur radio.

    Tom Bosscher

    p,s, a 350 question pool may stop some people from memorizing, but there
are those that can. I personally know one ham who memorized the ANSWERS to
the 350 questions for the tech, and then the general. Said person never
looked at the questions. A. 4 ohms B.8 ohm. C. 16 ohms D 40 ohms. This
person knew that the answer was 16. Tech test was done in 8 minutes, general
in 12. Your mileage may vary.

http://www.radiolists.net/