[BC] Amateur Radio Study Guides...

Phil Alexander dynotherm
Mon Jul 25 12:18:26 CDT 2005

On 24 Jul 2005 at 9:53, Burt I. Weiner wrote:

> I belive that method of study has been around a lot longer than FOIA.  The
> study guide for the commercial radio licenses back in the 50's and 60's was
> that way also.  The First Phone and Telegraph both required a documented
> apprenticeship.

"Memorizers" would take the tests and routinely flunk them, going back
at 90 day intervals to get new questions. The FCC could not ban these people,
nor could they keep up with them. They took their "take" directly back to the
"wonder" schools that trained all the "First Phone combo jocks" and killed
the licenses in the process. This was years before the FOIA. The problems
really started when the FCC permitted remote control.

However, Burt, as of 1958, the only apprentice documentation required was
for the First Telegraph. I do recall hearing there was one for the First
Phone, but it was several years before that.

Phil Alexander, CSRE, AMD
(a Div. of Advanced Parts Corporation)
Ph. (317) 335-2065   FAX (317) 335-9037