[BC] Re: Sub-Carriers

Tonne tonne
Mon Jul 25 06:27:57 CDT 2005

In fact I have referred to the 19 kHz signal in the current stereo
system as a synchronizing signal.  It could just as easily been
76 kHz and divided by two to get a demodulating or decommutating
signal but when that system was brought out using 19 kHz and
multiplying by two to get the demodulating signal was much easier
and more conservative bandwidth-wise.

The Commission was very big on that, and that is the reason the
frequencies of 19 kHz and 38 kHz were chosen over the main
competitor's 20 kHz and 40 kHz version.

-JimT