[BC] No-code Amateur license

Cowboy curt
Sun Jul 24 14:20:50 CDT 2005

On Sunday 24 July 2005 00:41, Jerry Mathis wrote:
> Does ANYONE use Morse code for anything anymore?

 Yes.
 Mostly, the pure enjoyment, and maintaining proficiency.

> We have far more efficient
> means of communications now. Aside from making someone PROVE they are
> interested enough in obtaining an Amateur license to learn it, what value is
> it?

 WELL......
 When all else fails, ( and I do mean ALL else ) simple on-off keying can still work,
 and can still get a message through, provided ( just like HD ) that there is a receiver
 at the other end capable of decoding the signal.
 The advantage being that no special hardware is required.

 I have no objection to dropping the code requirement, with one exception...

 I do still believe that requiring 20wpm for the extra class would be a good thing,
 even if none at all was required for all other classes.
 After all, the extra class is basicly a vanity class to begin with !
 As such, why cheapen it to the point where absolutely anyone can simply fill out
 a form, and be the highest class in the world ?

 And no, it's not at all an "I did it, So should you" argument.
 I'ld also argue that the slim to none extra privalege of 5khs in bands already
 mhz wide is sufficient reward.
 It's not that I'm better than you, but I *did* work harder than you did !
 ( and I'm proud of it )
 No reason at all you can't do it, too !

 Of course, I was one who believed that the incremental approach that the code
 test historicly carried, was always a good thing, but not from a practical standpoint.
 The ability to send and receive fast code has little practical use.
 My objection was and is, solely based on the idea that dumbing down the various
 classes to make everyone "equal" is a bad idea, even in amateur licensing.
 ESPECIALLY in amateur licensing, since it's primarily a hobbiest persuit.

 Yes, I hold a vanity call sign, but make no mistake that that's exactly what it is.

--
Cowboy
http://spam-o-matic.com

If God is dead, who will save the Queen?