[BC] DSL options

Chris Gebhardt chris
Sun Jul 24 12:03:49 CDT 2005

"Dave" <mrfixit at min.midco.net> wrote:
>  > Every ISP I've dealt with has had a clause in the contract forbidding
>  > the running of servers on a DSL or cable line. Has this changed?
>  >
>  > Rich
>

>     No, I don't think so. What I read in my contract before I signed up was
> that if you wanted to do that, you need to sign on as a commercial account,
> and they then provide the uplink bandwidth required for this enterprise.
> Otherwise, it would be merely an exercise in frustration to put servers
> on a
> "home" DSL with only about 384k available for uplink. Price is about double
> the home rate as I recall.

We only offer "business class" DSL anyhow - so speaking for us, we don't
mind if you put a server on your connection.  It would be hypocritical
for us to say anything different, since when we first started in 1996,
we had one server on an ISDN line!  ;)  (We've since grown, um,
substantially.)

But even so, apart from maybe some development work or extremely low
volume hosting, it's just to cheap to get honest-to-goodness
commercial-grade hosting ($12/mo) or even server colocation ($49/mo)
that's backed by redundant connections, backup power and a purpose-built
facility to NOT go that direction.

Can you be viable and host your servers on a broadband connection?
Sure.  Is it worth it?  See what you think when you hear from your
boss/customers/users the first time the circuit drops and the telco or
cable company gives you an "unknown" restore time.  To me, that's the
biggest.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services