[BC] Skywave reception, big potential, under-utlized , was Re: Daylight Savings Time changes?

Richard Fry rfry
Sun Jul 24 07:21:14 CDT 2005

Rich Wood:
>I really think the only way nighttime AM radio can continue to exist
>is to reduce skywave that's going to wipe out a lower powered local
>signal. IBOC stations have admitted anything beyond their protected
>contour isn't important. Let's take them at their word and reduce
>their interfering signal
__________________

Effectively reducing the skywave is much easier said than done.

Even radiation at low elevation angles (from just above zero to, say, +20
degrees) eventually becomes a skywave, and can provide nighttime secondary
service under the right conditions.  Nighttime radiation directed at +20
degrees elevation returns to the earth after one reflection from the
ionosphere at a point about 500 km from the transmit site.  Lower radiation
angles serve greater distances, so it can be seen that the part of the
radiation envelope most useful for generating usable secondary coverage is
contained at these low elevation angles.

There is no practical way in the MF band to build an antenna system that can
generate a groundwave of 100% relative field, and at the same time produce
very low relative fields at all elevation angles that produce a useful
nighttime skywave.

RF