[BC] Re: No Code Vs Code Vs cutting antenna

Xmitters@aol.com Xmitters
Sun Jul 24 01:14:15 CDT 2005

In a message dated 7/24/05 12:01:25 AM Central Daylight Time,
broadcast-request at radiolists.net writes:

<< either lengthen or shorten the physical antenna or employ an
 antenna tuning unit that fools the transmitter into think that's what
 you did. If you don't, you'll get reflected power and that's not good no
 matter which method you employ. OK argue with that! >>

Larry

I cannot now, nor was I in my original post arguing with that. What I was
asking, that you have not answered, is why you believe that building a match is
inherently better than cutting the antenna? You are simply restating what I
said. Both ways are valid, it just depends on the situation which is best. Maybe
there was something in your conversation with that new ham that I just missed
in your original comment.

How is it that this new Extra licensee "knows nothing" because he has a
different idea on how to match the antenna to his rig? (or pick any other
arbitrarily chosen theory topic) At the most, we could say that the person is not
skilled in antenna theory. That hardly means that the person is a lid or otherwise
"knows nothing," now does it?

This is what has always bothered me about the changes in the licensing of
hams. The _stupid_ incentive licensing makes me gag. The "leader" in our study
group wanted to take me out to the back 40, string me up in a tree by my thumbs
to allow me to twist in the breeze until the birds picked the flesh from my
bones, because I was primarily interested in VHF and wanted to go direct to my
Tech license. Absolutely positively stupid.

The "I had to do it, so you have to do it" attitude has to change. This is
one of the things turns perspective people off from ham radio. A person should
be allowed to get the license of choice based on interest, without going
through all the intermediate levels to get there. Today, the Morse code requirement
is obsolete.

How do we best determine if a perspective licensee would make a good ham,
based on today's needs and what the function of ham radio is today, not 20, 30
years ago?

Jeff Glass, Advanced
WB9ETG since 1970