[BC] No-code Amateur license

Tom Bosscher tom
Sat Jul 23 20:29:19 CDT 2005

CBoone wrote:
 > code hasn't stopped CB type
 >operators from getting Extra licenses...

    Chris, it's been that way for decades. I've been licensed since
1966. When the 1X2 vanity calls first came out, I was "only" an
advanced. The code nor the theory was a problem for me, so I was going
to go for my extra, to get K8TB, the only 1X2 I  desired. But, here in
Grand Rapids, a whole slug full of snotty guys went and got their
extras, and put everyone down who wasn't. I was the major clubs trustee,
and they wanted me out cause I didn't have the extra. Not a big deal
when running two repeaters. I decided I did not want to be associated
with them, so I did not go for the extra. By the way, I was the one who
was soldering their mic connectors for them to use on the low band rig
of the month. They also could never solder PL-259's properly. But hey, I
was only an "Advanced" .

    A few decades later, I did get the extra, but k8tb was taken. Then
last fall for whatever reason, I googled in the K8TB name holder, and
his obituary came up! So I turned the needed paperwork in to the FCC,
and got the call. Thirty years in the making, and someone had to die for
it!.

    I really don't think today is any worse than thirty years ago.

    Tom Bosscher  K8TB, till "I" die