[BC] No-code Amateur license

Rich Wood richwood
Sat Jul 23 20:19:31 CDT 2005

------ At 08:35 PM 7/23/2005, Tom Taggart wrote: -------

>Presumably the technician no-code and technician code licenses will, in
>effect, be merged, the no-code techs allowed to move up to the bands
>allowed for the code techs.

I used to moderate the Fidonet Amateur Radio Echo about the time the
no-code license appeared. I can guarantee this topic has a half-life
of hundreds of years. I have an Advanced Class license. I studied
code at 22 wpm to be sure I would be able to copy 13. I used a Morse
Machine that allowed me to feed ASCII text in. At the test they used
the same machine. I'm absolutely sure I passed the speed required for
an Extra ticket by mistake. With the earlier rules change all I have
to do to be able to use indecent language on 75meters is pass the
Extra theory. I hate code. It's been an impediment to even MIT
engineering friends who didn't have the interest or time to learn how
to beep. I can't think of anything that's cause more damage to
Amateur Radio than the code requirement.

I'll be found living underwater in Alvin for the next few years. Even
my flame retardant suit won't protect me from this one.

Rich
KF2JO

Rich Wood
Rich Wood Multimedia