[BC] Skywave reception, big potential, under-utlized , was Re: Daylight Savings Time changes?

Rich Wood richwood
Sat Jul 23 19:30:55 CDT 2005

------ At 12:41 PM 7/23/2005, Bill Harms wrote: -------

>Or open up the frequencies to those who really want regional
>coverage, while taking advantage of 50Kw (or more, gasp), and put
>those who want local coverage on another band.

Any station changing to another band is taking a terrible risk.
They're abandoning their listeners on the existing band in hopes
there'll be enough loyalty to get them to buy new equipment to follow
them. Over the past 5 years or so I've noticed much less loyalty on
the part of listeners. I believe anyone who moves will be abandoned.
I don't believe anyone wants to give up any coverage. Unfortunately,
from everything I see, IBOC will require it

>SKywave, in my opinion, is an under-utilized resource with HUGE
>potential.  Skywave is something to take advantage of instead of
>doing things to ruin its potential.

You're suggesting a band without IBOC. What we're forgetting is that
the listener is not paying nearly as much attention to our work as we
are. We're simply a part of their lives. Any heavy lifting won't
work. You're suggesting at least 3 domestic terrestrial radio bands.
Expensive new radios for any IBOC band. For AM we're going to have
the same programming on both bands. Is hate radio more exciting in
HiFi? Is Sean Hannity worth a minimum of $250 for a table radio or
$399 plus the cost of a new headend for the car? I'd rather spend it
on a trip to Borneo, assuming the show isn't carried there.

I really think the only way nighttime AM radio can continue to exist
is to reduce skywave that's going to wipe out a lower powered local
signal. IBOC stations have admitted anything beyond their protected
contour isn't important. Let's take them at their word and reduce
their interfering signal.

I guess I have to ask what value is a skywave signal. Most areas of
the country have some sort of radio service. Skywave is useless for
emergency information, anyway. WINS isn't doing wall-to-wall coverage
of a local flood in Peoria. Once hybrid IBOC is in full operation
some very dramatic action is going to have to be taken.
Unfortunately, a station can lose an entire audience in days if it
can't be received. We won't have the luxury waiting around for the
NAB. The NAB is on the Fritz.

In the research I've done to estimate the cost to add IBOC to my car
system I've wondered what is so complicated about an IBOC tuner that
it costs $399 when both satellite services have the price for
essentially the same thing at $99.99? That $99.99 gets me 130+
channels. An IBOC tuner gets me ... ? I realize the satellite units
will be subsidized by subscriptions but the price point of the IBOC
tuner, I believe is being far exceeded. The few big box stores who
know what IBOC is sell so few they don't even stock them. They're
special order items.

Either we do some planning now or Mutually Assured Destruction will
take on a whole new meaning.

Rich