[BC] Daylight Savings Time changes?

WFIFeng@aol.com WFIFeng
Fri Jul 22 09:29:29 CDT 2005

In a message dated 07/22/2005 09:20:54 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
wmroam at bellsouth.net writes:

>     Sounds like you have a mess here.   Have you guys thought about working
> with WTOP and come to some kinda of agreement for you to run at 5 KW btw 6
AM
> and 6 PM during the winter months, reguradless of when your Sunrise of
Sunset
> time actually are? Yea, it might make a mess on 1500 for a couple of hours
in
> the morning and afternoon hours, but economics comes into play here and
it?s
> important to get those paid programs on!  Who are you protecting day right
> now?  I wished during the major change window that opened up 2 years ago,
you
> could have found somewhere else to go with better conditions.

We're in the NY Metro, on LI Sound, and have 4 medium cities not too far
away. Sufficie it to say, there are absolutely no open channels, whatsoever. We
applied for the EB, but we were number 283 on a list of 88 to get a channel
there.

Our pattern puts a very deep null toward WTOP. I seriously doubt there is
much (if any) of our signal that would bother them. Over the years, I've spent
some time in VA, within the groundwave service of WTOP. (About .5mv) Try as I
might to hear even the faintest hint of WFIF's signal around sign-on and
sign-off, I could not.

I presume the original idea was to protect their skywave service up this
way... so CT and LI listeners can hear all about the traffic on the Beltway. ;-)

In another post, I mentioned just how powerful WTOP's signal is up here.
Suffice it to say, if we were signing-on at 6am in December and January, we'd
probably be unlistenable more than 5-6 miles away in our major lobe. Their signal
is *that* strong most nights. Even with the 7:15 sign-on, we still get
listener calls on some mornings, asking why they can't hear us.

Willie...