[BC] engineers nessessary "evil"

Scott Cason scott
Fri Jul 22 08:51:58 CDT 2005

>>They are the real gems, and long term survivors in this business.

And they are the ones I'll do everything in my power to keep happy because
they are the ones that pay their invoices within 30 days.  Going so far as
to doing small things for them without charging them.  I can think of one
client who has a tower near my home.  Recently he called and said the tower
light channel on his remote was reading zero and asked if I could visually
check his tower.  Took me ten minutes to ride up the road and back to see
his beacon was out.  I called the FAA and reported it, then called him back.
He asked me if I would take care of it for him, which I did.  I didn't
charge him for that day.  I only charged him for going out and trouble
shooting the flasher, which I replaced.  Do I do that for everyone?  No.
But he pays his invoices within TWO WEEKS of getting them.  The least I can
do is give him 15 minutes of my time every once in a while.

>>They are also inclined to be the last to pay their bills.

Something else owners don't realize is that we talk amongst ourselves.  I
already know who most of the cheapskate owners are in this area by listening
to other engineers talk.  I suggested at one time the SBE post a "deadbeat
owners/operators" list, but was told it was bordering on the edge of slander
and libel.  Regardless, most of us know already.  As the available pool of
engineering talent grows smaller, it will also be harder for the owners with
that kind of rep to get help.  In the end, they get what they deserve.

Scott Cason
President
LaGrange Communications, LLC
502-213-0024