[BC] engineers nessessary "evil"

Phil Alexander dynotherm
Thu Jul 21 13:38:57 CDT 2005

On 21 Jul 2005 at 13:22, Scott Cason wrote:

> >>The problem, as I see it,
> is that the NAB represents the views of many owners that engineering is a
> necessary evil to be avoided whenever possible and generates unneeded
> expenses.
>
> Not all owners feel that way.

That is true, but, sadly, there are many that do.

> I have been fortunate to run into some who
> realize the importance of good regular, routine and preventative
> maintenance.

They are the real gems, and long term survivors in this business.

Unfortunately, there are those who rationalize that they can run
equipment until it breaks and replace it more cheaply than
maintaining it. Usually they conveniently forget this
rationalization just after the equipment quits, and just before
they begin screaming to get it fixed as cheaply as possible.
They are also inclined to be the last to pay their bills.

> It's a hard lesson to learn for some, until they are sitting
> with a 50kW AM or a 100kW FM that's off the air, and can't find anyone to
> come work on it.  Then they come to understand the importance of
> engineering.  Those owners who have not found themselves in that situation
> are the ones most likely to NOT understand the importance of engineers.
> Does anyone else find ironic, considering the shape of radio today, that it
> was STARTED by engineers?

Not at all. Most technical businesses are started by engineers who, when
the industry matures are shunted aside, as accountants and "management
consultants" invade.

Phil Alexander, CSRE, AMD
(a Div. of Advanced Parts Corporation)
Ph. (317) 335-2065   FAX (317) 335-9037