[BC] engineers nessessary

Mike McCarthy mre
Thu Jul 21 12:42:21 CDT 2005

I regularly receive calls asking to come look at some long neglected
transmitter or array because they're off the air or severely curtailed.

My standard first question is "Where is your currrent engineer?"  In
all but a couple cases, they say they don't have one.  My second
question of "Do I have permission to properly address the issue as
needed?" is often met with um...we can't afford much and it needs to
be band-aided.  My comment to them is typcially that "I don't bandage
over long already bandaged stop gap measures which have become defacto
permanent through neglect.  Either I fix it right or they need to find
someone else."

Some owners will never "get it".  Most certainly the smallest of small
markets/stations which seem to think that because they are "poor",
they can make me poor too.

MM