[BC] Hilmer Swanson has passed away

DANA PUOPOLO dpuopolo
Thu Jul 21 12:13:25 CDT 2005

I agree.

We also lost James Doohan (AKA "Scotty") yesterday. As a kid watching Star
Trek, Scotty was so cool, made me respect engineers, and influenced me to
become one myself. Alas, the bean counters now in charge see engineers as cost
centers rather then benefits these days. Their pure ignorance has hurt our
profession and we ALL will be the losers for it...

Our good engineers are literally dying off and no one wants to replace them.
Last year the USA graduated 40,000 engineers, half of them foreigners (who
will likely return home). The Pacific Rim graduated over 400,000 engineers.
China has done what Japan was unable to do. They have successfully duplicated
Silicon Valley   http://msnbc.msn.com/id/7915125/.

The United States is about to become a third world country technology wise and
the bean counters are too moronic to understand the ramifications.

-D

-D