[BC] Analog HDTV (was: the Deja VU meter)

Phil Alexander dynotherm
Thu Jul 21 08:00:18 CDT 2005

On 20 Jul 2005 at 18:53, Kevin Tekel wrote:

> Anyway, it does puzzle me why we allocated so many UHF TV channels.  Did
> anyone ever figure out how many stations it would've taken to fill the
> original Ch. 14-83 UHF band to capacity across the nation, based upon
> then-current allocation schemes?

Originally, TV was seen as a replacement for radio, and the FCC
expected thousands rather than hundreds of stations to be
authorized. If you go back to the '50's, many small cities and
towns had stations briefly licensed to them even though they
were only large enough to support a single station. In the
early '60's I ran engineering for a group that had a stick
about 195 deg for a kilowatt daytimer that was a legacy from
a failed attempt at TV. We later turned it into one of the
first Class B 50 kW FM's so the 3-1/8" rigid line was put to
good use too. :)

Phil Alexander, CSRE, AMD
(a Div. of Advanced Parts Corporation)
Ph. (317) 335-2065   FAX (317) 335-9037