[BC] pod pay

David Lawrence <david@onlinetonight.net> reader
Wed Jul 20 21:16:49 CDT 2005

On 7/18/05 12:36 PM, one Clive Warner <clive at citiria.com> wrote:

 >> If listeners can 'fast-forward' to bypass advertising in free
 >> Podcasts, where in the Podcast financial model does remuneration come
 >> in?
 > - Same business model as an Audio Book. Pay per download.
 > Clive (waiting for Emily)

Not hardly. There are very few podcasts that do what I do - charge by the
download, nor are many expected to go the subscription route.

TIVO and Replay are, in the TV space, doing exactly what RSS 2.0 with
enclosures does for the online audio (read that "podcasting") space.
Advertisers are well aware that people can not only skip ads, but jump
exactly 30 seconds ahead with one button click. They are concerned, but it
it nothing more than a negotiation point when paying ad rates. It is not as
easy with the iPod or with on-computer playback to do so - you'd have to
click twice and use the flywheel very accurately to skip ahead, and when
you're working out, driving, using your iPod as background, the urge to skip
might be there, but the ability to do so is not necessarily an easy one. I
usually skip ahead when there's a long song that I've already heard. It's
easier to hit your target the longer the interval you want to skip. On a
long program, not so easy (actually, downright annoying) to skip ahead 30
seconds or 15 seconds or 10 seconds.

I advise my clients (podcastdesign.com) to do live reads of no more than
10-15 seconds. No skipping likely while the host is talking.

David