[BC] Franklin

Richard Fry rfry
Wed Jul 20 16:05:34 CDT 2005

Neal Newman:
>...a Franklin is a Vertical  center fed Dipole.  I would assume with it
>Being such there is No Ground Radial system?

Franklins can be driven by a single feedline branching near the ~center
insulator to drive the bottom of the upper section and the top of the lower
section (if the proper phasing network is used), but that does not make them
the equivalent of a center-fed dipole.

A Franklin needs a good ground system as much as a non-sectionalized
radiator, and for the same reasons.  Currents induced in the earth near the
radiator(s) need a low resistance return path in order to minimize system
losses.

RF