[BC] NRSC-5

Rich Wood richwood
Wed Jul 20 14:33:47 CDT 2005

------ At 02:26 PM 7/20/2005, Cowboy wrote: -------

>  I'm with Rich, here, but I carried that torch years ago on another matter,
>  and got hate mail for years from the loser of that monopoly, so I'm not
>  likely to be filing any comments on this issue.

Spend some time in programming and your concern about hate mail will
disappear. It comes with the territory. There is absolutely nothing
you can do in programming that won't offend someone. It's such a
given that, at most stations, any gift of food is thrown away. I
remember working at ABC and stopping by to visit Tom Snyder one night
he was originating in New York. His guest was Joe Piscopo. A security
guard came by with one of the most appetizing looking cakes I'd ever
seen. I think it was sent to Joe. The guard's next move was to dump
it in the nearest trash can. I've had Talk Radio personalities who
regularly received threatening notes (pasted up letters) as well as
stalker letters. You learn to deal with it and do what you think is
right. The worst hate mail of all is a bad rating book.

>  The claim that NAB represents the industry may well be accurate, and
>  doesn't necessarily imply that it accurately represents all participants
>  within that industry.

I think of the NAB as a TV lobby. It always surprises me when they
get involved with radio. It's interesting that they got involved with
LPFM on the interference issue, yet don't seem to be concerned with
the mutually assured destruction IBOC presents over the next decade or two.

Rich