[BC] the Deja VU meter is pegging (was: IBOC)

Rich Wood richwood
Wed Jul 20 12:40:56 CDT 2005

------ At 12:08 AM 7/20/2005, Kevin Tekel wrote: -------

>But yet, the old hollow-state Continental has saved WOR's arse several
>times, such as when the IBOC exciter went kaput, and during the August
>2003 blackout when the power was too unstable for the DX-50 to deal
>with.
>
>Digital may offer many "dramatic improvements", but true reliability
>as a fail-safe backup isn't one of them.

While I was there we lost very little air time As I recall, the
Continental was used during routine maintenance. I can't remember a
single time it was used because the DX-50 failed. I wasn't there
during the blackout. The failure of the IBOC exciter isn't the fault
of the transmitter. I left before IBOC was installed. I do recall the
DX-50 running on the generator with no problem, so I don't understand
why it should have, suddenly, been unstable. Where did you get your
information?

I do remember the Continental at XTRA having occasional problems with
the Mexican and generator power. Something to do with magnaphase. The
backup GE didn't care what it was fed. it ran on brute force. It
would probably have melted the towers before shutting down.

The issue in the original message wasn't reliability but changes in technology.

Rich

Rich Wood
Rich Wood Multimedia
Phone: 413-303-9084