[BC] Shortening non-sectionalized "too-tall" AM radiators

Cowboy curt
Wed Jul 20 10:25:45 CDT 2005

On Tuesday 19 July 2005 16:55, Dan Strassberg wrote:

> I don't think that any scheme that involved sectionalization would work in
> the case I'm interested in--and not only because the towers are in use by
> another station (actually, two stations at night).

 So, this would be a tri-plex ?
 That does complicate things a bit.

> I believe that the town
> in which the array is located would raise hell at any suggestion involving
> mechanical modification of the existing tower structures. I think that
> skirting might fly with the zoning authorities, though.
>
> The other case that I mentioned in central New York State is different.
 /snip/
> Last I heard, he had hired as a consultant a
> South American PhD college professor, whom he claims is the only expert he
> could find with actual hands-on practical experience solving efficiency
> problems in "super-tall" skirt-fed grounded AM towers.

 Then, he didn't look very hard.

> Even before he hired
> this particular consultant, the owner recognized that the propagation
> velocity was enough lower than the speed of light in free space to make the
> tower electrically taller than 225 degrees. However, when I met him several
> years back, neither he (that is, the tower owner) nor any of the other
> consultants he had hired (I'm not a consultant; I'm just a friend of a
> friend of the tower owner) had been able to explain why the efficiency was
> as low as it was. Maybe by now the South American professor has fixed the
> problem.

 And if not, there are certainly more than one who could handle the issue.
 Somehow, I expect that the actual performance isn't *really* what's kept
 it from happening....